23 August 2023

Having a COVID non-week

It began last Friday with a slight tickle in my throat. By Saturday, I had a full-blown sore throat and was beginning to develop a slight fever. I took a COVID test, which proved negative. Come Sunday, I decided I was too ill to spend three hours in a cold cathedral, so I stayed in bed instead. Monday – high fever, raging sore throat, no voice, persistent hacking cough, complete loss of taste and smell (and, this time, the COVID test was definitely positive).

Two days further along and I feel deceptively well. The fever, sore throat, and cough have gone and my senses of taste and smell are beginning to come back (though strangely distorted at the moment – I discovered this morning that it is possible for a strawberry to taste bitter!). But the crucial word is ‘deceptively’ – as soon as try to do anything, I find myself rapidly running out of energy (and, at one point, blacking out and keeling over).

This is very frustrating because I had hoped to get on with the research for a paper I’m writing. So, I have officially declared this a COVID non-week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<i>The Groaning of Creation</i>

A review of Christopher Southgate, The Groaning of Creation: God, Evolution, and the Problem of Evil  (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Pre...