24 August 2026

Christos Yannaras (10 April 1935 – 24 August 2024)


Today is the second anniversary of Christos Yannaras’s falling asleep. So, I thought I would remember him by quoting his very trenchant critique of contemporary institutional Christianity:

Increasingly,  Christian  life  seems  to  be  nothing  more  than  a particular  way  of  behaving,  a  code  of  good  conduct.  Christianity  is  increasingly  alienated,  becoming  a  social  attribute  adapted to  meet  the  least  worthy  of  human  demands – conformity,  sterile conservatism,  pusillanimity  and  timidity;  it  is  adapted  to  the trivial  moralizing  which  seeks  to  adorn  cowardice  and  individual  security  with  the  funerary  decoration  of  social  decorum. The  people  who  really  thirst  for  life,  who  stand  daily  on  the brink  of  every  kind  of  death,  who  struggle  desperately  to  distinguish  some  light  in  the  sealed  mystery  of  human  existence – these  are  the  people  to  whom  the  Gospel  of  salvation  is primarily  and  most  especially  addressed,  and  inevitably  they all  remain  far  removed  from  the  rationalistically  organized social  conventionalism  of  established  Christianity. (Freedom of Morality, p. 115)

With the saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Thy servant Christos, where there is neither sickness, nor sorrow, nor sighing, but life everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christos Yannaras (10 April 1935 – 24 August 2024)

Today is the second anniversary of Christos Yannaras ’s falling asleep. So, I thought I would remember him by quoting his very trenchant cri...